"Jackson said he has bought 6,600 domains and uses several different ad services to earn revenue on them. "I know quite a few guys making over a million dollars a year from advertising on their domains," he said. "It's like a 24-hour money-printing machine."
David Steele, an intellectual property lawyer at Christie, Parker & Hale and a professor at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles, said the practice amounts to someone making money off someone else's trademark without permission."
"Trademark law is designed to protect consumers so they can quickly identify what they want and get it," Steele said. "If everyone has to spend a whole bunch of time wading through all this lookalike crap online, then the value for Internet consumers is going to be seriously reduced."
domainsponsor.com [WhoIs] or information.com [WhoIs] (http://oversee.net)
· http://www.kisdomain.com (v.s. http://www.kidsdomain.com), http://abcnew.com (v.s. http://abcnews.com) à http://musicplus.com
qsrch.com [WhoIs] (http://new.net)
· http://www.TheFaecBook.com [WhoIs] & http://wwwhi5.com [WhoIs] à anchor: http://meet---people---online.com [WhoIs]
· http://www.BanoOne.com [WhoIs] & http://www.BanOfTheWest.com [WhoIs] à anchor: http://bank--account.com [WhoIs]
· http://www.Dolwnload.com [WhoIs] & http://wwwjoked.com [WhoIs]à anchor: http://free---downloads.com [WhoIs]
· In total, found 152 typo domains funneling through 61 unique anchors of this type