Frager Factor

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Guest Post: Mike Johnson Got Justice From Sedo and One Less Asshole Gets To Take A Walk of Shame



I (and domainers in general) won a small victory when a non-paying Sedo buyer finally agreed to, and made a payment on, a domain name I sold to him on the online domain name marketplace.

I posted my plight on the domain name forum Namepros.  The buyer initially said, in essence, "screw you" when I pointed out that he broke a contract.  When faced with the threat of a possible lawsuit for breach of contract, he said "Do whatyou gotta do." After all, who sues someone over $497?  The legal fees associated with suing cost far more that that.

Here is a link to the thread, but you have to read it in its entirety to get the total context:

http://www.namepros.com/legal-issues-and-disputes/789410-another-non-paying-sedo-buyer.html

So I went to Namepros, identified my buyer as "another deadbeat Sedo buyer," posted the buyer's name, business name, email addresses, and city, and asked for help.

What I got instead was a firestorm of criticism.  My fellow domainers said the following.

1. The buyer just changed his mind,  Why do you want to ruin his business?
2. You are young and immature.  I get "deadbeat" Sedo buyers all the time, but I don't make that big of deal over it like you.  You are overreacting.
3. You registered a reg fee name for the sole purpose of selling it to that particular buyer.
4. I would not do business with you.
5. You posted most of his personal data, then went back and removed most of it (I removed one thing, an address)
6. Why do you want to sabotage his identity?
7. What you are doing is wrong.  You went after him like a collection agency.
---and so much more.

I was sick and tired of selling domains and then have buyers back out of paying.  I decided to do something about it.  Yes maybe I was harsh, and maybe I will use a softer, friendlier approach before naming and shaming, but if I ever need to name and shame a non-paying buyer I will. Sedo warns the potential buyer that their bid or offer is legally binding, and buyers must honor their end of the deal by paying for what they purchase.  "I changed my mind" is not acceptable.

I kept the pressure on the buyer and and the domainers kept the pressure on me with their wild accusations and lies.  Finally, the buyer contacted me today with a proposal to pay $250 today and pay the rest over time, in exchange for my removing my references to him as a deadbeat buyer.  I was happy to do that.  Like I said all along, it is not personal, its principle.

So while the critics were criticizing my methods, I got paid today.  While the critics were criticizing, domainers gained another tactic in their arsenals to collect from deadbeat buyers.  I know I didn't invent naming and shaming, but I haven't seen another domainer use it on such a wide scale.

I would be happy to talk to you more about it or write an article about my experience with naming and shaming.

Thanks,


Mike Johnson
superdomainname  at gmail.com





Share/Bookmark
About The Author: Owen Frager is an Internet marketing expert ready to help take your company to the next level.

Contact Owen: Twitter | Google+ | Facebook | LinkedIn | Email