Before I present the Top Ten Power words in marketing communications, let, examine the Top Ten Language Pitfalls in Email marketing messages: 10. Typos and misspellings due to poor editing There really is no excuse.
9. Subject lines in ALL CAPS Writing in all capital letters online is the equivalent of shouting. You would never scream at your customers or prospects in person, so don't do so virtually, either. If you must, capitalize a single power word within your subject line and leave it at that.
8. Use of punctuation marks and numbers within the subject line If absolutely necessary, use only functional punctuation such as a hyphen or colon. Do not put phone numbers in your subject line—ever!
7. ALL CAPS within the message body Remember, no need to shout. Use other creative means such as color, different font, or buttons/banners/backgrounds for emphasis if there is an explanation, offer, or condition not to be missed.
6. Excessive or unnecessary Power Word repetition; especially of power word #1 See below.
5. Copy written in passive rather than active voice We need to get to the point quickly in email. Front-load sentences and paragraphs with action verbs and eye-catching benefits.
4. False or inflated sense of urgency The very nature of email implies expediency, immediacy. Pushing recipients to respond by intentionally creating an environment of panic or scarcity usually doesn't provide an incremental lift in response. In fact, it can be a real turn off. Your audience is already in a mindset to quickly access and process email messages. Nudge, don't shove. Subtly mention deadlines or expiration dates when necessary or legally required, and if in doubt, test.
3. Vague calls-to-action "Click here" or "visit our Web site" are too general; they don't reinforce the subject of your message or your offer. Nor do they instill confidence in where a responder will land. Be specific, such as "download your free white paper" or "see the movie preview" instead.
2. Exaggerated Modifiers Like "Amazing," "Revolutionary," "Great," "All New," (when just "new" would suffice) and even "Special" and "Important," especially when used in the subject line, can land your email in the junk folder. Hype is a hallmark of spam and is unnecessary when your messages are targeted and relevant. Assuming they are (targeted and relevant), they will already be perceived as important, special, or great. Why state the obvious?
And the number-one pitfall:
1. Including the word "spam" in your message (such as "this is not spam") The very existence of written justification that your email is ethical calls its legitimacy into question. I can't think of a more self-defeating proposition than stating your message is NOT what you fear it will be.
Now for the good news.
Top Ten Power Words
Here are the top ten power words for your email advertising and communications: 10. New Appeals to our basic human curiosity to seek novelty.
9. Save We all love a bargain.
8. Safety Connotes reliability; appeals to basic human needs.
7. Proven Justifies your claim, removes fear of the unknown.
6. LoveAn all-time favorite.
5. Guarantee If you have one, state it. It iron-clads your offer.
4. Immediate (Now, or Instant) Instant gratification is the expectation online. If it can't be found, completed, or received almost immediately, you're offer is in the wrong channel. 3. Results Provides rationalization for instant conversion.
2. You Remember WIIFM? Your audience wants to hear about what's in it for them, not you. Articulate your benefits in personal, conversational terms.
And the number one Power Word:
1. Free Surprised? Probably not. Because this is the time-honored, most potent motivator in direct response, be particularly vigilant of overuse. Just a dash'll do. Strive to optimize placement, and test if necessary.
Have a GREAT day, Owen Fragerfactor.com Declassified Frager Factor VIP March, 2008 .......................................................................................................................... "Good enough is never good enough because it's dull, boring and expected" ~~The Baldchemist ...........................................................................................................
Recent Visitors during our record-breaking month: Media and AdvertisingViacom; Publicis Group; WPP Group USA; CRISPIN PORTER & BOGUSKY; Martin Agency; kirshenbaum bond + partners (kbp.com); dotGLU; McCann-Erickson; DDB Worldwide; OGILVY; MindShare; Chiat Day; eurorscg; Carat MBS; INTERNET BROADCASTING SYSTEMS; Current Media; CBS; ITT; Dynamic Logic, Inc; TekSavvy Solutions; THE TICKET RESERVE; CRISPIN PORTER & BOGUSKY; News Corporation; d'arcy masius bention & bowles; INTERPUBLIC GROUP OF COMPANIES; Zeus Jones; D&E Communications; Partners & Simon; New World Network; Marchex; GoDaddy; NameView; Name Media; Demand Media; Oversee.net; CTECH GiX; Ask; Kraft Kennedy; Geoff Howe Marketing Communication;; Vietel Corporation; CCA; MCS; CGI Information and System Management; Vision Communications; The Nielsen Company; Pershing LLC; Teddys media radio; Name Intelligence; Prime Public Relations; INTERVAL INTERNATIONAL; Disney; Yahoo; Isomedia; GORILLA NATION MEDIA; Frank Schilling; Oversee; Sieg; Bagimsiz Gazeteciler Publishing; Random House; SSK; isyour.name; BPR Groupe Conseil; Omeda Communications;
Financial ServicesBloomberg;Dow Jones; Accenture; Goldman Sachs; JANNEY MONTGOMERY SCOTT; Morgan Stanley Group; WELLS FARGO BANK; Salomon; Bank One; Willaim Blair; The Advisory Board; Standard Chartered Bank; Bank of America; HR Block; Reserve Bank of Australia; Frost National Bank; Alliance Capital Management;
TechnologyComputer Sciences Corporation;eBay; Apple; SUN MICROSYSTEMS; Cisco; Oracle;Hewlett-Packard Company; Dell; Xerox; Federal Express Corporation; Orange;; Open Text Corporation; Google; Microsoft; VMWARE; CITRIX SYSTEMS; Alcatel; The London Institute; Dhivehi Raajjeyge Gulhu; PAYMENTECH; Vodaphone; United Technologies Research Center; Groupe CGI; Best Buy; Dansake telecom; Nextweb; SPOT RUNNER; Radiografica Costarricense SA; Provider Corporation; Accelerated Connections; VIRTELA COMMUNICATIONS; ELECTRONIC ARTS; ICG NetAhead; SkyVision Holdings Ltd.; Iqara Telecom India Pvt Ltd; Opera Software; Prescient Systems; ACC-CRAFTLOGIC SOFTWARE LLC; Research In Motion; BAE SYSTEMS; GTE; Consolidated Edison Co. of New York; France Telecom; Randomwalk Computing; CEGETEL Entreprises; rain.fr;
Education/Public SectorUS Courts, European Parliament, United Arab Emirates; Northrop Grumman Corp.; Condi Rice,1112th Signal Battalion; Navy Network Information Center; NASA; CHAPMAN UNIVERSITY; Duke University; National Taiwan University; Seoul U; Savannah College of Art and Design; University of Oklahoma; University of Northumbria at Newcastle; Universidad Autonoma de San Luis Potosi; Spokeane Symphony; Mississippi Ave Baptist Church; State of Virginia; State of California; University of Texas at Austin; Education and Research Consortium of the Western; UPC Ceska Republica; Hampden-Sydney College; United States Army Corps of Engineers; Environmental Systems Research Institute; Bentley College; Bulgaria Ministry of Environment and Water; North Harris Montgomery Community College; Pepperdine U: New Mexico State University; Ruprecht-Karls-Universitaet Heidelberg; DBJ Minnesota State University; New Mexico State U; Stanford U; Cornell, Tufts; Albert Einstein College of Medicine; University of Illinois at Chicago; Gyeongsang National University; Kaiser Permanente Medical Care Program; THE TRUST FOR PUBLIC LAND; Edmonton Power; Environmental Systems Research Institute; Legacy Health Services; Education and Research Consortium; Cerebos Pacific Ltd; Taft School; Centre National de la Recherche Sientifique; Shiraz University of Medical Sciences; Greater Orlando Aviation Authority; Houston Area Library Automated Network; State of Wyoming; University of Newcastle upon Tyne; Nova University; Army National Guard Bureau; National Archives and Records Administration; Navy Network Information Center; Mount Sinai School of Medicine; Univ. of Texas; University of Oklahoma; Virginia Community College System; Columbia U; Depaul University; The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center; University of Central Oklahoma; University of New Hampshire; University of North Carolina at Greensboro; Eastern Virginia Medical School; Hogeschool INHOLLAND; Hospital Universitario Marques de Valdecilla; State University of New York - Oswego; Government of the Province of Ontario; Columbia U; University of California, Irvine; State of NY; Rainbow Schools;
OthersNorwegian Cruise Lines; Farmers Mutual; FORD MOTOR COMPANY; American Airlines; Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals; STARBUCKS COFFEE COMPANY; Baylor Healthcare Systems; State Farm; GNA Corporation; Sears Direct Response; Kaiser Permanente; Openface; Lear; The PGA Tour; SwansonHealth; Montana Project; Business News Americas Ltda.; Domino's Pizza Beano Publishing; Fullrate DK; POWERCOMM; Infocom Technologies, Inc; PC LENDER; CityNet; CIHS; Novant Health; United Layer; Astra Zeneca; Bayer Corporation; C & D Aerospace; Al Qahirah, Cairo; Fast Telecommunications Company (Kuwait); Simply Bits, LLC; Giraudo, Engmann, Spiegel & Duvall; Service PLACE PROPERTIES; Scottsdale Memorial Health; Sports Trend International; Newman utilities; RITZ CARLTON; Harris Corporation; PEERLESS PUMP COMPANY; Kelly Temps; THE FIRST AMERICAN CORPORATION; Dell; Deere & Co./John Deere; STEALTHAIR; TEXAS HEALTH MANAGEMENT GROUP; Cord Blood Registry; JSC Kauno Interneto Sistemos; Kennecott Copper Corporation; Pulse Engineering; KLA Instruments Corp.; HELLA NORTH AMERICA; Uniquest; MPRM LLC; Entergy Corporation; HanseNet; Cooper Hand