Today, .sydney domain names mark their first birthday.
Since launch, almost 9,000 domain names have been registered under .sydney, including early adopters such as the City of Sydney (www.whatson.sydney) and Luna Park (www.lunapark.sydney).
Other facts and figures about one year of .sydney domain names include:
- 97% of all .sydney domain names are registered by Australians, with 77% of these registered to individuals and businesses located in New South Wales.
- The most visited .sydney domain names as ranked by Alexa (a website traffic monitoring tool) include: www.barangaroo.sydney, www.fieldday.sydney and www.agentfinder.sydney
- 46% of all .sydney domain names are between eight and 13 characters long.
- There is high availability of short and memorable .sydney domain names, with 98% of all possible three- and four-character domain names unregistered.
- The largest portfolio holder has registered 115 .sydney domain names.
- Neustar processes on average 29 million Domain Name System (DNS) queries per month for .sydney domain names, which offers an insight into the amount of website traffic generated by these domains. This averages to approximately 900,000 queries per day.
George Pongas, Director of Product Management at Neustar, Inc. said the milestone capped off a successful first year of operation.
“We are pleased with the consumer demand for .sydney domain names to date and look forward to seeing proud Sydneysiders and businesses serving the state warmly embracing the namespace as awareness continues to grow.”
Mr Pongas said he was particularly proud of the way businesses and individuals were using and promoting their .sydney domain names. He added that the namespace was serving the needs of the community, with 97% of registrations originating in Australia.
“It’s encouraging to see the number of .sydney owners using their new domains in their marketing and advertising to connect to their city. This is a testament to their endorsement of the city’s new home online.”
Check out .sydney mabassadors talking about how their new .sydney and .melbourne domain names help them do business. See the videos here: KungFu.sydney, Festival.melbourne, Dexter.melbourne and DrKevin.melbourne.
To celebrate .sydney’s birthday, Sydneysiders can enjoy special birthday offers. To register your .sydney domain name, please visit our website: www.get.sydney.